October 2006 - Present
Member of Technical Staff
Member of team that build Google Chrome.
- Chrome Extensions
- Autoupdate system
- Automated memory error detection (Purify)
April 2003 - February 2006 (Acquired by CA in July 2005)
Qurb develops anti-spam software that integrates directly into Outlook and Outlook Express.
Lead implementer and architect for many Qurb products and features.
- Qurb Search which allows users to instantly search Outlook and Outlook Express email
- Qurb Feed Reader, a powerful RSS feed reader integrated into Outlook
- Qurb Anti-Spam software for Outlook Express
Website Engineering and Operations
Implemented many key website features and business processes, as well as responsible for day to day operations of the server.
- Online sales processing and reporting systems
- Release control tools for client and website
- Client auto-update mechanism
- Client crash-reporting and analysis
- Backup and reporting/data warehousing systems
- End-to-end user tracking from lead to purchase
Drove Qurb's use of online marketing tools and measured their effectiveness in near real-time.
- Implemented and managed online search marketing programs
- Implemented and measured effectiveness of a variety of other marketing programs
- Developed key business metrics and built reports around them
Technologies: C++, C, Windows, Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP, Perl
Nov 1999 - April 2003 (Acquired by Sybase in February 2003)
AvantGo developed software and services to allow synchronization of data and applications to mobile devices.
Director My AvantGo Product Development and Operations
In December 2003, My AvantGo served 8 million registered users, performing more
than 1 million syncs involving 2TB of data daily.
- Managed product development and operations for My AvantGo service enabling PDAs and smart phones to access internet content online or offline
- Improved operational efficiency and reliability to reach breakeven and developed new revenue opportunities
- Involved in service architecture and software design, budgeting, purchasing
($500,000 annually), supporting strategic distribution partners including Microsoft, Palm, Nokia, Ericsson and wireless carriers
Engineering Manager, Chicago, IL
- Led integration of Globalware (a software company with 12 employees that AvantGo acquired)
- Hired additional engineers, implemented software development processes and led software architecture and design of next-generation PIM (personal information management) technology.
Engineering Manager, Enterprise Engineering
- Responsible for development of AvantGo Server version 3.6, including project management, coordination with third party technology providers, prerelease programs and customer interaction
- Managed and shipped AvantGo 3.4 software release on schedule
Technologies: C, C++, Perl, Mason, MySQL, Apache, FreeBSD
January 1998 - November 1999
iQ developed a service for authoring and hosting marketing promotions.
- Led software design for internet services providing coupons, sweepstakes, promotions and other marketing services to customers
- Involved in design and implementation of object-relational database persistence, secure HTTP/XML RPC, dynamic coupon behavior, rich expression-based targeting of users, live editing, versioning and publishing, distributed caching and fraud protection
Technologies: Java, Servlets, ASP, SQLServer, Oracle, XML, HTTP
May 1996 - January 1998
280 built an internet service for online collaboration.
Senior Software Engineer
- Responsible for designing and implementing the user interface for startup building an internet collaboration service
- Implemented workspace navigation and a variety of mini-applications within the service including "brainstorm", "project" and "chat"
Technologies: Java, C++
NeXT Computer / NeXT Software
June 1992 - May 1996
Senior Software Engineer, Applications
- Extensive implementation, UI design and API design for object-oriented
software projects involving the NEXTSTEP operating system, which has evolved
into Apple MacOS X
- Co-designed and implemented a MIME-compliant extensible email framework and application
- Responsible for maintaining and enhancing core applications including Workspace, Preferences and Login
Software Engineer, Intel Port
- Member of the team that ported NEXTSTEP from proprietary hardware to the
Intel PC platform including applications, frameworks, device drivers and
operating system internals, which has since become the basis of the Apple's move to use Intel-based computers.
Technologies: Objective-C, C, UNIX, NEXTSTEP